August 28, 2006 Fall Kickoff and the State Fair...
We took Ma Smith
to her first Kentucky State Fair. At age 95 it was high time, we thought.
Thank heavens for wheelchairs though...
went to the Seminary Fall Kickoff and there was a humongous crowd
there. It was nice to be a part of something like this...and the
watermelon was pretty good too, says Earnie...
This is a prizewinning wooden
pot from the State Fair, with a crucifixion/crown of thorns motif...
We even had a hot air balloon...
and a little clown who was AMAZINGLY
facile in creating baloon animals...I was jealous...
And of course, Elvis was at the
State Fair on Saturday.
And Freddie Farm Bureau welcomed
The lumberjacks never did say what part of
Kentucky they were from...
The prizewinning SPAM recipe- Spicy Spam
And the winner of the Ugly Lamp
Contest- some were built and some were born that way- this one
was purportedly of the latter ilk, and was rumored to have come
from the Old Galt House.. No redeeming aesthetic value whatsoever...
then there were corn dogs and funnel cakes of course...
and dancing kids, and fountains, and the smelly livestock..And a pleasant
time was had by all...
Read about The
I was revisiting
old territory and ran across this- I never blogged it.
your Cancer: That's the title of John Piper's
article, written on the eve of his surgery.
Here are his ten points:
- You will waste your cancer if you do not believe it is designed
for you by God.
- You will waste your cancer if you believe it is a curse and not
- You will waste your cancer if you seek comfort from your odds rather
than from God.
- You will waste your cancer if you refuse to think about death.
- You will waste your cancer if you think that ýbeatingţ cancer means
staying alive rather than cherishing Christ.
- You will waste your cancer if you spend too much time reading about
cancer and not enough time reading about God.
- You will waste your cancer if you let it drive you into solitude
instead of deepen your relationships with manifest affection.
- You will waste your cancer if you grieve as those who have no hope.
- You will waste your cancer if you treat sin as casually as before.
- You will waste your cancer if you fail to use it as a means of witness
to the truth and glory of Christ.
I just love this man.
From TallSkinnyKiwi: If
the Bible was blogged
technology and the Bible. ...
Questions? Respond on the form below.
When you hit submit your
browser will display a message that requires approval
for the e-mail being sent. It's OK. Really.
personal weblog of Anthony Foster